Saturday, September 21, 2019

.ideal bedtime routine.

I am terrible at sleep.

can't fall asleep. can't stay asleep. can't wake up in the mornings on weekdays. wake up too early on weekends.

some weekends, I find myself bursting with energy and motivation, while others, I sleep the day away. I try not to feel too guilty about it because obviously, my body needed all that rest, right? especially if it had been a mentally / emotionally / physically draining week before. and I know there are other factors, like hormones or if I'm fighting off sickness.

however, I know it would be easier to track *why* my sleep fluctuates the way it does *if* I maintained a consistent schedule. (and I most probably would be able to sleep better.)

everyone's different, so for me, I'm a natural night owl. I love staying up late, as the nighttime creeps in and most everyone else heads to bed, there's a certain kind of creative energy that comes to me in these late night hours.

however, I can't sustain a life keeping these late night hours because I'm working a regular full-time job from 8 am to 5 pm.

I struggle with mornings and waking up on time to get ready for a full day. it's embarrassing running late all the time. the few times I've shown up to work a minute or two before I'm supposed to clock in, my coworkers have commented on, "oh! you're here early." -- actually, I'm just here on time instead of 10 minutes late. whoops.

here's to figuring out what works for me by writing this and then committing to keeping it for one month by posting it. I will post once a day for the entirety of october to recap the night routine and morning routine.

this post will focus on an ideal bedtime routine.

---

OCTOBER ROUTINE CHALLENGE: BEDTIME

9:20 pm - clean up: showered, face washed, teeth brushed, nightly skincare routine completed.

9:50 pm - wind down: creating a quiet time, quiet space. unplug from gaming & watching intense TV. type up and publish daily post. make an entry in my handwritten journal.

10 pm - yoga stretch: I've been following this video recently. a simple routine to follow and relax to.


"yoga for sleep♡ easy bedtime yoga | 5 minute miracle" by boho beautiful on youtube, published on nov 20, 2015

10:20 pm - in bed: resting into bed. last sips of water. goodnight wishes.

---

there it is: something simple, attainable. look, I'll even have special exceptions listed because I know I'm human and can't maintain the perfect schedule all the time.

special exceptions will be family commitments, facetime dates, and our trip to hawaii.

I'll try my best to keep special exceptions to a minimum; stay tuned during october to see how it goes!

until next time,
emily renee

No comments:

Post a Comment